Why Study in Germany?
- World’s top and best employees respect German’s Education and thus give preference to those graduated from German institutes.
- About 12% of students at German institutes are international students. It is the third most popular destination for internationals students.
- Wold’s best higher education in Germany and worldwide recognition to its qualifications. 1000 German MNCs (in India) prefer to hire people with German degree. Not only to education we give value to the product, if it has “German made” tag
- Well known and famous for Engineering and Science Education. World’s top technical Universities like TU9. Not only Engineering and Science, the institutes have their piece of education for everyone, i.e with every possible subject at different academic levels, from diploma to doctorate. About 17,500 degrees from 450 state – accredited universities in the country. About 10 Lac vacancies for Engineers & IT professionals with starting package of Rs. 30 Lacs for German Qualifications.
- World’s top and best employers respect German’s education and thus give preference to those graduated from German Institutes.
- Other features: 1.5 year work visa after course completion. Permanent residency after working in Germany for 2 years; World’s 4thlargest & Europe’s biggest economy; Cost of living cheapest in Europe; Travel across Europe; Attractive location – near Netherlands, France, Switzerland, Austria, Czechoslovakia; Easy visa process
- The colleges of Art and Music are popular for their Artistic subjects, where as the Institutes of Applied sciences are bundled with practice oriented curriculum.
- No GRE, IELTS (for German taught) required. At masters level majority of the programs are taught in English, though you could manage without knowing German language, but have an edge if you are proficient with basic level of German language to communicate. Universities do offer lot of support to international students with the help of mentoring programs such as “Buddy” and “Tandem”.
- By learning German language you can open many doors. It is among the top 10 most spoken languages of the world. Language command adds value to your resume and have advantage in learning things at university or work place.
- FREE education (Almost no tuition fee). Majority of German programs are with no fee to moderate fee because the institutes are supported by the Government. Even though some institutes charge tuition fee at Bachelor and Master level, they are not expensive like in other Western or European countries. Affordable living expenses are another attraction to German education. International students have discounted rates while availing majority of the facilities by producing their student ID.
- The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) provides scholarships in Germany for international students. A range of postgraduate courses at German Universities with the aim of supporting academically educated young professionals from developing countries with their further specialized studies. Irrespective of your subject, country, or visa status, one can find a scholarship that matches their profile. DAAD is the best source to find out programs offered, scholarships and about other support organizations in Germany.
- Other features at Germany that attracts International students are its Safety, Huge landscapes, flexible chances of visiting diverse cultures like Rome, Paris, Prague etc with affordable costs and easy transportation modes.
Qualifications and principle eligibility – For programs offered by German Colleges and Universities:
- Undergraduate Studies
- Post-graduate Studies and
- Doctoral Studie
Undergraduate Studies in Germany:
In any country bachelor’s degree is a first-level of university qualification which is recognized on the international labour market. The fundamentals of specific subject is taught during six to eight semesters, then either you may progress to further masters or may start the professional career.
Being every University in Germany is autonomous, thus they have their own framework in designing the courses along with the set of criteria for admitting students. The admission criteria can be known from their websites. Proficiency in German language is mandatory if in case of preferring to go with German medium program. Taking a language test, such as the TestDaF or DSH, their examination certificates are required to attend a course taught in German language.
Principle eligibility to apply for Bachelor program is one of the below:
- Qualifying IIT-JEE in India to gain admission to courses in Engineering Technology and natural sciences.
- Successful completion for 1st year of bachelor of study in a recognized university relevant to your subject field.
- Qualifying the examination in Germany by name Feststellungsprüfung. This exam is being conducted by universities in Germany to assess the subject proficiency and German language. To help prepare this examination a program/foundation course by name Studienkolleg in German language would be useful which comprises of relevant subject of study and German language. Again to take the Studienkolleg course, minimum eligibility is 12th certificate relevant to the subject and approximately B1 level German language proficiency. Again Aufnahmeprüfung is the entrance exam to enter in to the foundation study which test subject knowledge and German language proficiency. Feststellungsprüfung is the eligibility apply to the Bachelor program in German Universities, but admission is confirmed based on several factors, the decision will be taken by the course co-ordinator of that particular university.
Post-graduate Studies in Germany
- Master’s program run for two to four semesters, a second level of University qualification i.e next to bachelor studies in German universities. These degrees enable student to deepen their knowledge gained at Bachelors level to enter the professional life. Also the master study is the minimum eligibility to progress to doctoral studies by meeting the other credentials required for those who want to progress to the next higher level of academic degree. The “Dipolm” and “Magister Artium” are the traditional qualifications in Germany. Diploma is the title honoured to students for studies in Engineering, Natural/Social sciences, Economics etc where as “Magister Artium” (M.A.) is for programmes in humanities.
Eligibility Criteria for Admission to master’s degree course
- Being autonomous, every university design its own set of admission criteria. Admission criteria is to be verified from university website.
- For most of the German universities a 4 year Bachelor degree from India is will considered as an eligibility for Masters by meeting the other criteria set by the university. Those who have 3 year bachelor degree need to communicate with the course co-ordinator to find out the eligibility for entry.
- IELTS / TOEFL will be required for programs taught in English. GRE/GMAT may be asked depending upon the subject to study. Example Engineering programs may require GRE and business/ management related programs may require GMAT. Even German language skills are mandatory if the program is taught in German medium and may not be required if the program taught in English. But having German language skills will give you an edge during your stay in Germany.
- The duration of the doctoral studies depends upon the research topic selected, usually it varies from 2-4 years and sometimes could go up to 4-6 years depending upon the research topic.
- Doctoral study program finishes with the grant of a doctoral title (PhD). During your studies, you are required to write a research paper (dissertation). The tenure of the Doctoral programme depends on the topic of your research project, but usually takes between 2-4 years.
- In 1998 to reform their degrees UK, France, Italy and Germany had initiated the Bologna Process to bring the compatibility in the standards and quality of higher education. Many ministries of higher education in EU countries had adopted the Bologna declaration, which facilitated the students and graduates of different nations to move freely for higher studies based on their prior qualifications.
Admission process to Doctoral studies:
- Identifying a professor to guide/supervise the research for the doctoral degree along with International Master’s Degree are mandatory requirements along with meeting other university requisites to get admitted.
Cost of Education and living for German studies:
- The state funded institutes offer free education through scholarship where as private institutes are financed from tuition fees, students may have to pay up to Euro 20,000 per year.
- The abolishment of tuition fee in Germany from October 2014, a symbolic fee called “Semester contribution” is charged at the state institutes, between Euro 50-1000 depending upon the location of institute and services it provides and may be more for some special courses.
- Tuition fees are In general:
- Public Universities: EUR 1,000 per annum (approx.)
- Private Universities: EUR 10,000 – 20,000 per annum (approx.)
- Living costs are in addition to the administrative fees, but differ a lot based on the location of living. Example big industrial or University city location costs very high when compared to low population areas.
- Food, housing, study material, travel, health insurance, leisure activities and other expenses costs about Euro 600-1000 per month and vary depends on the lifestyle and the location of living as well. Cost of living is bit cheaper in the Eastern parts of Germany.
- Major Intake : September
- Minor Intake: January
Other important information:
- Students need to initiate the application process about 8-12 months prior to the intake as application and scholarship deadlines vary amongst universities. To get assistance for university short listing based on your profile, avail scholarship benefits contact VIPRO office as early as possible.
- As part of student visa requirements, you have to show that you have access to the fund of about Euro 8000- 10,000 per year towards living expenses.
- Domestic and International students can avail numerous price concessions in services at theatres, public swimming pools, museums, cultural venues and many more by providing student ID as an evidence.
- Non European International students may work 120 full days or 240 half days/ year. If you need to exceed the 120 full day work limit as part of your student assistant/ search assistant studies, getting approval from Alien Registration Office is mandatory. Violation of rules may lead to revoking the visa and deported from the country.
- Non- European international students may avail 18 months post study work visa after their graduation for job search with no time restriction on working hours during this visa period.
- The practicing professions like Doctor/Pharmacist/Lawyer or Teacher required to clear the “State Examination”. Respective federal states set the norms to qualify for the State Examination. The qualifying examination allow you to commence the professional/ training period to become eligible for the second stage of the examination.
Admission Process for Study in Germany:
- Attested copies of all academics from X onwards, including any re-sits.
- English language evidence through IELTS / TOEFL test.
- GRE/ GMAT scores as per the program requirement
- Letters of Recommendation (Academic )– minimum to Two & From Employer (If applicable) – minimum two
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume / CV & Portfolio if required for Architecture/ Fine Arts & design programs )
- Activity Resume if available with certificates of Extra/ Co-curricular, Achievements/ Activities.
- Passport size photographs
- Application fees if applicable.
- Any other documents as per university requirement.
Applying for admission:
- Online / Hard copy of applications along with the supporting documents have to be submitted to the International office of German University through courier.
- Application deadline for Winter semester (Commencing October) is 15th July where as the for the application deadline for the Summer semester (Commencing in April) is 15th January every year.
Types of Visas:
- Language Course visa :
- The duration of this visa, will be same as the duration of the language course i.e about 3 months to 1 year. Can apply to this visa if you wish to learn German language or need to learn German to commence university education in Germany.
- Student Applicant visa:
- When you have not decided about the course or wish you decide the about the education by visiting German institutes this is the visa. You may also use this visa, if your offer of admission is delayed from a German institutes. It is a 3 month valid visa but can be extended up to another 6 months.
- Student visa:
- After procuring the admission from German university, you need to apply the student visa for the duration of your studies in Germany.
Visa Requirements :
- Valid passport that was issued within the last ten years, having the validity of at least of one year minimum after the scheduled course end date in Germany.
- Copy of first (Identity) and last (Address) pages of Passport on A4 page.
- Passport size photographs X 3- that meet the biometric photo requirements.
- A handwritten cover letter, detailing your intensions of your study in Germany with the stay periods dates.
- Proof of academic qualifications submitted at the time of admission and any additional if needed.
- Proof of English Language and German language (if required)
- Travel health insurance covering the dates between your commencement of journey to until you reach the university.
- Proof of funds- As part of the student visa application to Germany, you are need to provide the evidence of sufficient funds. Funds can be shown in the following 4 ways:
- Evidence of receiving stipend or scholarship
- “Formal Obligation letter” from a sponsor who is a German resident.
- A renewable bank guarantee of about INR 6.5 lack per year from a German bank
- Opening a blocked account at a bank in Germany or at a branch of Kotak Mahindra Bank in India that has min of INR 6.5 lack deposited to it. http://www.india.diplo.de/contentblob/3589060/Daten/3726486/sperrkonto_neu.pdf
- Need to fill out the Application form for National Visa. Need to print it out, sign it and submit it along with the other supporting documents.
- To complete the application documentation, need to print out the declaration and sign it.
- Need to schedule and appointment for visa interview at your nearest German Mission.
- The visa fees should be paid in the form of Demand Draft, need to verify the current conversion rate in the website. This should be done shortly before your visa appointment.